Sunday, January 18, 2009

Our Not so Fun Day With Kaden

A week ago Thursday Kaden woke up throwing up everything in his stomach, I was at work and Jake called me saying that he woke up to Kaden throwing up, not spitting up but throwing up. I didn't know what to think of it. I didn't really think that it was that big of deal, Kaden is not a big spit-upper, so I though that he had just spit up more then normal, maybe I ate something that made his tummy upset. We both went a long with our day, Jake watch Kaden and he said that he was acting a little more relaxed then normal (those of you that know Kaden know that he is always moving) he would just cuddle with Jake, which he never does. I thought that was a little strange but I attributed it back to him not feeling well because I ate something he didn't agree with. Once I got home we both were talking about him not feeling well and what we have done differently this week, one thing that came up was Kaden had not pooped in a week, I then started to get a little worried. I called into the nurse hot line, she wasn't too worried but thought that if he didn't go that night then we should take him into the doctor the next day. We left my mom's house, I was still in the neighborhood when he started to throw-up again, this time I saw how much it was and got really scared. We went back to my mom's to clean him up, and realized that he had pooped a little. Once he was all cleaned up I felt a little better because he had pooped, and seemed to be a little more lively. We started to head home for the second time, we were getting off of the freeway and were almost home when he threw up again. This time I got home and Jake and I decided that we were going watch him closely and decide in the morning if we were going to take him to the doctor. He slept just fine Thursday night, so I decided to go to work, Jake called me in the morning and said that he had thrown up again and was acting really lethargic, so I told him to make a doctor's appointment as soon as the office opened. Jake got an appointment at 8:45 Am, he got Kaden ready and headed in. Our regular Pediatrician was not there so he had another one look at him. She told all of these things that she thought that Kaden had and told him that he needed to take him to the E.R. Jake called me at work and said "I don't know how to tell you this but we are on our way to the E.R" I think my heart skipped a beat, I started to bawl and asked him what hospital they were going to. I went and told my boss that I would be leaving and ran to let my mom know, she didn't want me to drive upset so she wanted to take me. We made it to the hospital before Jake and Kaden had got there. We got Kaden all checked in and they got us back in 5 Min. We talked to the nurse and he checked him out. We told him all that the Doctor that we just saw said and he started to laugh. I was so upset, this was my baby and it wasn't funny that he was so sick. The E.R. doctor came and checked him out and said that he was severely dehydrated and needed some fluids. They took us back to where they were going to give him the IV and asked if we wanted to leave, I was not going to leave my baby but Jake said that he would stay and that I should go into the lobby (I didn't handle him getting his shots very well). It was about 10 min. until they came back and got me. I came back to see my baby with his hand in cast-type bandage and big red eyes from him crying. Jake said that it was really hard for him to watch them do this to Kaden and it was good that I had left the room. Well, we were there for 5 hours, it was a long 5 hours. Kaden did a really good job for being confined to us holding him for that long. He had a hard time with the IV and every once and a while wanted to rip it all out. At the end of the 5 hours they said that he was all hydrated and should be good, but didn't have an answer to why he was throwing up. I asked the doctor 3 times what was going on and all he would tell me is that he probably had the stomach flu and he doesn't need to under go any tests. I asked well if he keeps throwing up what should we do, he said he seems to be better but just make sure that you give him pedalite, and if it keeps happening bring him in again (I just thought to myself- this is my baby and I would rather you rule everything else out and then you can say it is just the stomach flu, and plus I don't have $100's of dollars to just keep coming back, can you just run some test so we can be sure it isn't anything serious). Well, we left and on our way home he threw up again. I was so disappointed with the hospital visit. I was so stressed out and Jake was being so supportive, he just kept telling me everything will be okay and we just need to get him fluids. We got home and I tried to feed him a little, after about a hour and half he threw up again. My grandparents and mom, came over to check on Kaden and drop off our car (I had left it at work), and pedialite Jake and my grandpa gave Kaden a blessing, I felt so much more peace after that. We kept giving him pedialite through a dropper until about 9:00, at that time Kaden had kept it all down so I thought that I should feed him just a little. He did good that night and Saturday, but at 4:00 Am Sunday morning we woke up to Kaden throwing up again, he threw up twice on Sunday, we made sure that we kept him hydrated to the best of our ability. Monday he seemed to be doing better but he decided that he didn't want to eat (who would, after all that)! Tuesday we had his 4 month appointment scheduled so we thought it would also be a perfect follow up appointment. Our doctor was great, he spent so much time with us, and wanted to know what was going on from beginning to end with every little detail. He check Kaden thoroughly, and came to the conclusion that Kaden had a Staff Virus, he said that it is something that we all carry on our skin , and he got probably through my milk. If the milk is left out it can grow on it. The part that confuses me is that we are really careful about putting the milk in the fridge right away. We are happy to say that Kaden is better now and is acting like himself again. We are so grateful for him in our lives.



At our 4 Month check up Kaden weighed 13lbs 16ozs and was 24in long (when we took him on the Thursday before he weighed 14lbs 6ozs and was 24 1/2in long, okay I get how he lost the weight but how did he lose 1/2 an inch?). He also got his 4 month shots, he did great, when they gave him his first one he smiled at the nurse, but on the second one he realized what had happened an started to cry, but as soon as Jake picked him up he was a smiley-bird again!

3 comments:

Adam and Nicole said...

Oh man I am glad he is okay. That is so scary to have to take your baby to the ER. Man Laura, we haven't hung out in a while. We all need to get together soon!!! I really am happy that Kaden is better. You and Jake are great parent's!

Jason & Amanda Chapman said...

Hey Laura! Sweet baby. I just wanted to let you know that I'm making my blog available to family and friends only. I don't have your email address, so let me know what that is so that I can send you an invite! I'm so glad that I found you! Your baby is adorable!!!
amanda_e_chapman@yahoo.com

Christi said...

Ugg Laura, I'm sorry you had to go through that!! I'm glad he's okay!!